2. The competent authority shall endeavour, if the objection appears to it to be justified and if it is unable to find a satisfactory solution itself, to resolve the matter by mutual agreement with the competent authority of the other Contracting State with a view to tax evasion which is not in conformity with the Agreement. There is a list of current double taxation treaties on GOV.UK. In Nigeria, the OECD model has served as the basis for the formulation of most current double taxation (DTT) treaties with other countries. Nigeria currently has SDRs from thirteen countries: Great Britain, the Netherlands, Canada, South Africa, China, the Philippines, Romania, Belgium, France, Mauritius, South Korea and Italy. Countries enter into DTTs/agreements on the basis of an agreement that would ultimately benefit both economies. However, this is not always the case as some countries appeared to have benefited more from the VVC provisions than others. In this context, the federal government should also review current tax agreements with other countries to determine whether Nigeria actually benefits from these SDRs. When it is found that this is not the case in Nigeria, the renegotiation and modification of important clauses of the DTT should have no place. You will probably need to seek professional advice if you are in a situation of double taxation. To find an advisor, you will find help on our website. Tax Information Guide: Major Economies in Africa 2018 Overview of the Tax Environment and Investments in 44 Jurisconsultations across Africa, including this country. The guide contains income tax rates, withholding tax rates, a list of double taxation treaties, information on other taxes, investment incentives and important business data.

Published by Deloitte in May 2018. If you come to the UK and have UK work income that is taxed in your home country, you normally have to pay UK taxes. Your home country should give you double tax relief by giving a credit for UK taxes paid. However, if you are established in a country with which the UK has a double taxation treaty, you may be entitled to an exemption from UK tax if you spend less than 183 days in the UK and have an employer outside the UK. In order to promote global economic development and reduce the impact of double taxation on businesses, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the United Nations have developed model conventions on income and capital. These models define the principles of a permanent establishment, grant tax rights between nations and form the basis for the exchange of information and the settlement of disputes between States Parties. Finally, be aware that some countries, such as Brazil, do not have a double taxation agreement with Great Britain. If so, you may still be able to claim unilateral tax relief for the foreign tax you paid. .